NMT appoints new director
The Namibia Media Trust (NMT), publisher of The Namibian newspaper, has pleasure in announcing the appointment of Ms Zoé Titus as director of the NMT Foundation, effective February 1, 2020.
Ms Titus, formerly Regional Director of the Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA), with a wealth of experience in media and the non-governmental sector on the continent, held the post of Strategic Coordinator of the NMT since June 2016.
The mandate of the NMT foundation is to advance the rights of media freedom and free speech as well as access to information, to promote independent media, and to contribute to the enhancement of journalistic professionalism both in Namibia and further afield.
Some of the key activities of the NMT include the following:
• supporting the work of the Editors’ Forum of Namibia by facilitating the revamp and consolidation of the EFN statutes, including the Code of Ethics and Conduct for Namibian Print, Broadcast and Online Media;
• media policy interventions related to law reforms that impact on media freedom, freedom of expression and access to information in Namibia and the continent;
• hosting the Action Secretariat, an alliance of NGOs including the NMT, Legal Assistance Centre, IPPR, and others, which actively promotes and access to information regime in Namibia as well as the implementation of an ATI law to facilitate the public’s right to know;
• conducting research into the burning question of media sustainability in a time of crisis for journalism
• convening an annual YouthQuake, where young people are sensitized and educated about the role of the media, online and offline, and related areas such as media literacy;
• facilitating training on investigative journalism as well as other areas of importance to the media.
The work of the NMT Foundation extends far beyond the borders of Namibia. In 2019 the Foundation hosted the Southern African consultation on the review of the Declaration of Principles of Freedom of Expression and Access to Information in Africa. It’s training programme is rapidly expanding in response to the need for reskilling of newsrooms in Namibia and the sub-region.
On behalf of myself and fellow trustees, Theo Frank and Luckson Chipare, I heartily congratulate Ms Titus on her well-deserved appointment, and we know that she will take the essential work of the NMT Foundation to even greater heights in the future.
* Download full statement here.
Namibia Media Trust